Thursday, August 22, 2013

To the pale creature that used to crouch beside my bed...

I can still hear your whispers. They haunt my every waking moment.

Sleep used to be my only escape. That was, until your facepainted friends took that away too.

I still have the scars. I hide them beneath the long sleeves of my jacket.

How long had you been there, creature? How long have you crouched at my bedside and whispered in my ear?

Was it since I was a baby? Were you there even then?

What were you saying to me, creature? What eldritch words rolled off your eldritch tounge and into my childish ear?

Even as the words echo in my mind, I cannot understand a thing.

You confound me, creature of the night. Your actions are nonsensical.

But I suppose that is to be expected, from something that is so shameless as to hide in children's closets.

Do you remember the words, dear readers? When you were children, the words your parents would say to you as your eyes darted around in terror?

"Don't be afraid," they said. "There is no such thing as the boogeyman."

Your parents were wrong, dear readers. There is such thing as the boogeyman, and you should be very afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment